When the artillery units departed from Augsburg, several old guns that were no longer in service were displayed on the kaserne terrain to remind of the relieved units.
We are talking about three M59 “Long Tom” calibre 155mm long barrel guns and two M115 calibre 8in short barrel guns. Two of the long barrel guns were located in front of Headquarters, Bldg 101, and one on the lawn at Pfersee Gate. The short barrel M115 guns were placed on the other side of the kaserne, one in front of the Officers Club, Bldg 180, and one at Stadtbergen Gate.
Both gun versions were manufactured by Hughes Tool Corp. in 1943-46. They were utilized approximately until 1970. The guns highlighted the kaserne until base closure in 1998.
8in TOWED HOWITZER M115; previously known as M1 *)
Calibre: 203.3 mm
Range: 16.800 m
Sustained rate of fire: one round in 2min *)
Crew: 13 *)
*)Source: JANE’S WEAPON SYSTEMS 1978, ARMY ORDNANCE, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, page 405
The gun in front of the Officers Club represented the 1st Battalion, 36th Field Artillery Regiment, Reese Barracks, inactivation Oct 15, 1991. The gun at Stadtbergen Gate represented the 2nd Battalion, 77th Field Artillery Regiment, Sheridan Kaserne, inactivation March 1, 1991.
155mm HOWITZER M59
Range: 22.800 m
Rate of fire: 1-2 rounds/min
The gun at Pfersee Gate represented the 1st Battalion, 18th Field Artillery, inactivation Juli 1, 1991. The two guns in front of the Headquarters Bldg probably are from the same unit, however were already placed left and right of the big flagpole in the 1980s.